STEAM Revolution Camp: The Basics
- 2020 Update for Virtual and Physical Camp
- COVID-19 Considerations
- Size of Camp|
2020 Virtual Online Camp
For summer 2020, STEAMRevolution Camp is both online and physically located at the College of Mt. St. Vincent in Riverdale. While the online camp cannot provide ALL of the same experiences, we have created a plan that we think will make this truly engaging and rewarding for your children in grades 2-8. The Virtual/Online Camp requires materials and supplies to be shipped to your home prior to the start of camp. Therefore, we ask that you register in a timely way!
COVID-19 Considerations and Precautions
We are as concerned as you are likely to be regarding the health emergency presented by COVID-19. For this reason, we have delayed the opening of physical camp until July 20. This should give us time to see how the health crisis abates after re-opening in the NYC area and to make our own plans for organizational safety. The College of Mt. St. Vincent has also implemented guidelines for camps hosted on their property. We will implement all of these as well as our own. Our plans at this time include:
- Reduced group sizes – maximum of 12 per group
- No interaction between groups (therefore each group will have interaction with the same group of peers and adults every day of the week).
- Temperature checks every morning for staff and campers
- COVID testing prior to employment for all staff
- Masks will be worn by staff and campers except when outdoors.
- Lunch will not be served by the College; campers will bring their own lunch or purchase a brown bag lunch, which will be available from the College.
- Lunch breaks will be outdoors whenever possible and as a first option.
- The campus has a very large outdoor space – we will be using this whenever possible – even for activities and instruction.
- Anybody (staff or camper) showing symptoms of illness will be immediately dismissed from camp
- The College and Curious-on-Hudson will be providing extra hand sanitizer stations and disposable masks and encouraging hand-washing several times per day.
- The College is providing additional custodial services, i.e., complete restocking of sanitizing supplies, more sanitizer stations, and more frequent cleaning of bathrooms. In our experience, the College had already maintained a high level of cleanliness throughout the space we used last year. We are confident that they will provide an even higher standard this year.
Location: Where is physical camp held?
The camp is both online and on at the College of Mt. St. Vincent in Riverdale. This beautiful campus is conveniently located to Manhattan, The Bronx, and Westchester County. Our facility includes a fully equipped science lab, maker/classroom spaces, gathering areas, green, grassy areas, riverfront wooded areas, large dining facilities, and trees…..think lots of trees, grass, and beautiful scenery. See the exact location at this link.
What ages can attend STEAM Revolution Camp?
Camp is geared for students entering grades 2-8. Three peer groups will be organized every week: Grade 2/3, Grades 4/5 and Grades 6-8. Please talk to us if siblings desire to be in the same group but are of different grade levels than this group although we do not recommend this as an option.
What is the schedule?
The full-day (online or physical) camp is from 9:00-4:00 every day. The half-day camp is 9:00-12:30. The morning is organized in peer groups and follows a CORE Curriulum schedule. The afternoon is more individual, where the campers choose their own electives. LEARN MORE ABOUT THE SCHEDULE HERE.
What are the fees?
- Full day weekly session: $625 per participant
- Half-day (Online Only) is $350
- Multiweek discount: 5% off all weeks
- Sibling discount: 10% off all registrations made at the same time and through one payment.
- Scholarships are available (see below)
What is camp all about?
STEAM Revolution is focused on science, technology, engineering, arts and MAKER skills. We integrate these topics into daily activities, where students will have the opportunity to design and build projects as a team and individually. We will be learning skills like electronic circuits, woodworking, project design and mapping, coding and lots more. Afternoon electives run the gamut of creative and performing arts, STEM, coding, design, and much more. We believe in HOLISTIC education!
How is the camp staffed?
This camp is led by a senior director and is staffed by specialists in areas of science education, technology and applied arts. Specialists and guests will attend camp during the 7-week summer term. Our staff includes teachers, college students and experts in various fields as well as our own full-time staff of instructors. Students will be in groups of 10-15 kids with three assigned team leads.
Who are the organizers of this camp?
Curious-on-Hudson is the organizer of STEAM Revolution Camp. We have provided STEAM enrichment programs to schools and communities in the NYC region for over five years and we have operated our own summer camps and classes every year since 2013. This our first year at the College of Mt. St. Vincent but we have loads of experience running camps just like this one. Learn more about us at this link. (curiousonhudson.com)
How many campers will attend?
The camp will accommodate groups of 12 per peer group with a maximum attendance of 60 students per week. Please also see the note above regarding COVID-19 precautions.
What grade does my child need to be in to register?
Your child should be entering Grades 2-8. If your child is in a different grade and you believe he/she would be a good fit for STEAM Camp Revolution, please email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
What about food?
You can bring your own brown bag, healthy lunch or you can purchase a brown bag lunch from the College for a fee.
We would love for as many young people as interested were able to attend our camp! If you are interested in a scholarship for your child (or another child you feel would greatly benefit from this program), please complete a brief information form at this link.